Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Destash/knitting frenzy

I haven't posted a blog in a while but I've been doing a lot of planning for knitting projects and thought I would get back to blogging as a way to keep track of what I'd like to get done as regards knitting. So basically it comes down to the fact that during the process of moving from Indiana back to Chicago I realized that I have an obscene amount of yarn and I tend to buy at faster rates than I can get it knit up. The goal here is to destash so that I can once again justify buying yarn but there is a huge roadblock in that I am totally unwilling to part with the majority of my yarn, much of which is hand-dyed by small dyers and so relatively unique. The only solution I can then come up with is to knit the yarn. This should be a wonderful conclusion since the original goal was to knit the yarn, right? Well, it turns out that between working full time and having a child and a husband along with a house that needs occasional upkeep, I really don't have much time to knit these days! But I'm making an effort!

To start, I'm going to keep my progress bars from Ravelry on my page to remind my self to finish things!!! Also, I'm going to make a list of all the projects I have in mind and dedicate yarn to them. Then I am going to set deadlines (reasonable ones) for completing projects and aside from purchases already in progress (as in ordered but not received) I am going to limit myself to buying only yarn necessary for completing projects primarily composed of stash yarn or to that which will be cast on within 24 hours. We'll see how that goes!

The list will be compiled shortly and posted but project #1 is already started. I am making my adorable daughter a sweet pink cardigan with some Cestari Fine Merino in Peony Pink that I have had in my possession for well over a year. It was originally intended for longies (knit pants) for her but I never got around to making them and we are nearing potty training so she's getting a cardigan.
This is a really adorable pattern from Lion Brand and so far, it is very quick knitting. I've done the back panel and will start the front panels tonight! Pictures of the progress will also be forthcoming.

1 comment:

  1. My friend blogged that she had been dared to calculate her stash yardage. She estimates 19K yards... I started calculating mine, still figuring it out! Good luck running down yours :o)

    ReplyDelete